Today is Labor Day. In a few short hours, summer will be officially over. Kiddos all over the country are packing their backpacks with all those new school supplies and laying out their first day outfits. To go with those bags and outfits, parents are packing lunches in the latest action hero lunchboxes. Oh wait, do kids still use lunchboxes? Hey, it’s been awhile, okay? Makes me think back to when I was in grade school… I remember when Oscar Mayer Lunchables first hit the commissary shelves in Okinawa… Let me I think I was about 10 or 11. So trendy! All the cool kids ate Lunchables. The extra-cool kids had Squeeze-Its to wash them down with. Oh, to be a kid again!
Being a grown up does have its advantages, though, one of them being choice. Why settle for pre-packaged, over processed meals and snacks, when you can create your own quite simply and with healthier ingredients. Honestly, the first time I made these, I was just throwing something together with what was in my kitchen. It wasn’t until after I had finished that I thought, “Hey, these remind of me of Lunchables!”
- However many of your favorite crackers depending on how hungry you are. My favorite is toasted sesame.
- Your favorite cheese(s)
- Small slices of your favorite low sodium, preservative free deli meat* (like Apple Gate Farms or Hormel Natural Choice), fruit(s), and/or veggie(s)
- Layer a smear or slice of cheese on your crackers
- Add the deli meat, fruit, or veggies you have chosen on top of the cheese
- Take a bite and experience a playground flashback
- Finish your snack and google the closest playground and go find it!
*Starting from the top and going clockwise: Strawberry Chardonnay Cheddar on a water cracker topped with ham; Four Peppers Goat Cheese on a sesame cracker topped with a strawberry; Laughing Cow Creamy Swiss on a graham cracker topped with honey dew melon; Ricotta on toasted bread topped with a tomato