What could be more satisfying than a grilled cheese sandwich? It is one of those perfect dishes that scream for your own special twist, hence the millions of recipes out there. My special twist here is keeping it low cal without sacrificing the yum factor, which gives me a little more wiggle room during a season where tantalizing temptations lurk around every corner. I also found a cool way to use more of those apples I picked!Guilt Free Grilled Cheese with Apples and Turkey Serves 1
- 2 slices light whole wheat sandwich bread
- 1 wedge, Laughing Cow spreadable light cheese (I used Swiss)
- 2-3 slices of low sodium Turkey Breast
- 1 tbsp Light Butter
- 1/4 of small tart apple, sliced thinly
- Split the cheese wedge in half and spread each half on the two slices of bread
- Layer the turkey breast on one bread slice over the cheese
- Layer the apple slices over the turkey slices
- Take the second slice of bread and close the sandwich, cheese side down over the apple slices
- Heat a grill (or regular) pan over medium high heat
- Spread half the butter on the top side of the sandwich.
- Place the sandwich in the hot pan, butter side down.
- While the first side browns, spread the remaining butter on the opposite side.
- Grill each side 1-2 minutes, or until the bread starts to turn golden and crispy.
- Serve with the rest of the apple and a side salad or cup of soup.