Eggs: inexpensive, healthy, versatile, and easy to cook. Despite their reputation as a breakfast food, I don’t think I know anyone who only eats them before noon. While “breakfast for dinner” is a well loved meal, the versatile egg allows for delicious, more varied dinners than scrambled eggs and hash browns. This huevos rancheros recipe, for example, is a great dinner option because the beans add substance not normally found in a traditional egg dish. The simmered black beans make 4 to 5 heuvos ranchero servings, and can be kept in an air tight container for about a week if not used immediately. They also make an excellent addition to nachos, tacos, or homemade burritos. I suggest rounding out the meal with a simple corn and red pepper salad finished with lime, garlic, and cilantro.
1 small onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 jalapeño, finely diced
1 tsp cumin
1.5 tsp dried oregano
1 can black beans, with sauce
1-2 fresh tomatoes
Small handful of cilantro
2 corn or flour tortillas, per serving
Non-stick cooking spray
2 eggs, per serving
Shredded cheese (optional)
Sour cream (optional)
1) In a medium sized sauce pot heat about half tablespoon olive oil and sauté jalapeño, onion, and garlic for a 4 minutes. Add black beans to pot with about half a can tap water. Stir in cumin and dried oregano and let simmer over low heat while preparing the rest of the dish.
2) Seed and dice tomatoes, mix with freshly chopped cilantro. Salt and pepper if desired.
3) Thinly slice avocado, and set aside.
4) Meanwhile, in an oven preheated to 400deg, place tortillas on lightly greased cooked sheet and cook until golden brown.
5) Lightly spray a fry pan with non-stick spray and prepare two eggs per serving. How the eggs are prepared are totally a matter of choice, although I prefer mine fried over-medium.
6) Lay one tortilla on a plate, spoon black beans using a slotted spoon and spread on tortilla.
Sprinkle cheese and some of the diced tomato on top of beans.
Arrange thinly sliced avocado over tomato and top with second tortilla.
7) Carefully place eggs on top of second tortilla, careful not to break the yolks if they are runny. Sprinkle with more tomatoes and cheese, top with sour cream if desired.