My family isn’t one for celebrations. When holidays roll about, our celebration is sitting down together for dinner, because we never have dinner together on normal days. Same thing with birthdays, except dinner is usually out at a restaurant so no one has to cook or clean. Well, for my mother’s birthday this year, I decided I would host a birthday dinner at my place to help save my dad some money, but to also save them from the same ol’ same ol’ chain restaurant fare …until I found out that neither my father or sister were available for dinner that night! After some calls and text messages, it was decided we would instead have a brunch the day before.
Breakfast for myself is easy: oatmeal, pancakes, or an omelet…but this was a birthday celebration! What to make? I wanted something visually appealing and definitely special so my mother would feel special. Since one of her favorite foods is sauteed zucchini, I thought I would do a twist on hash browns by adding in grated zucchini and making little fritters out of them. She LOVED them! Yippee! Happy birthday, mommy!
Zucchini Potato Fritters
- 1 cup grated potatoes
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flour (I used whole wheat)
- 1-2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, milk, and egg and whisk together to create a batter.
- Add grated potatoes and zucchini to the batter and mix well. Add parsley and season with salt and pepper and mix well again.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat.
- When oil is hot enough for frying, start scooping the zucchini potato mixture in 1/3 cup schools and carefully add to the pan.
- Cook each fritter until golden brown and crispy on each side, appx. 4-5 minutes. When finished, place on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Serve fritters as a side with your favorite brunch dishes.