Here it is! August is upon us. One last month to get in all the summer stuff you had planned while you can..and still hotter than Hades! Speaking of hot, have you noticed how the heat seems to make you less hungry? After sweating buckets helping Emilie move this past, humid weekend, I surprisingly couldn’t find my appetite, despite our rumbly bellies. Apparently, I’m not imagining things. When the summer heat wave hits, our bodies work to stay cool and not overheat. Since digesting food creates heat, there’s no wonder our appetites seem suppressed. That’s when something cool and hydrating can save the day!
What I really love about this watermelon salad is how filling it is, which we can thank the high water content of the fruit for (bonus hydration = cooling power!). Of course, watermelon is sweet due to lots of natural sugar. To help make this salad less dessert like and more meal like, I added some lovely savory elements. Raw red onion sliced ever so thinly, brings in just a little bite while the tangy goat cheese gives it some nice body and a bit of creaminess. Add in a touch of crushed pistachios and you have a lovely savory, cool treat to counter those hot, hot days.
- 1 small seedless watermelon, cube
- ¼ red cup onion, sliced really thin
- 3 ounces plain goat cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup pistachios, finely chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly chopped herbs (suggestions: mint, lemon balm, basil, Italian parsley)
- kosher or sea salt (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine watermelon, onions, and pistachios. Toss to mix. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Portion watermelon salad onto plates or into bowls. Sprinkle in crumbled goat cheese and add a pinch of salt if using. Garnish with fresh herbs and serve.