Summer has ended, and, to be honest, I am completely ok waving goodbye to those hot sticky days and swarms of mosquitoes and saying hello to my sweaters and pumpkin patches. One of may favorite things about the start of October is the smell of wood smoke filling the air as I go for my evening runs, even if it makes me crave s’mores as a recovery food. I know most people see s’mores as a summer treat, but, for me, s’mores are about roasting marshmallows, and starting a fire in 90 degree heat is really unpleasant. So I really start craving s’mores at the beginning of autumn, but, without a working fireplace in my apartment, s’mores aren’t something I can really make on the spur of the moment. Sure I can stand over my gas stove, but that’s not really any fun. I’d much rather curl up under my afghan with an awesome s’mores inspired dessert. I tried the graham cracker cereal bar, which were a big hit at the end of summer BBQ I attended. Yet, they didn’t really fulfill my s’mores craving. They were missing the toasty marshmallow/toffee-like goodness of a marshmallow held over an open flame and roasted until perfectly golden brown.
So I was pretty excited when I found the recipe for this now infamous Momfuku cornflake cookie. I had no desire to make the cornflake crunch that the recipe calls for, so I substituted lightly crushed Golden Graham cereal, which also lends itself to the s’mores theme better than cornflakes. My cookies turned out thinner than those pictured on the Daily Candy, Martha Stewart, or Momofuku sites, but they were still delicious with the marshmallows melting into a slightly crunchy toffee-like treat surrounded by chocolate chips and crunchy bits of graham cracker cereal. Perfect with a hot apple cider and the crisp autumn air.
“I’d Like S’more” Cookies
2 sticks (½ cup) butter, room temperature
1¼ cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup light brown sugar, tightly packed
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1½ cups flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups Golden Grahams cereal, lightly crushed
2/3 cups chocolate chips
1¼ cups mini marshmallows
1) Cream together sugars, vanilla, and butter until fluffy. Beat in egg.
2) Add salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Stir in flour.
3) Fold in Golden Grahams, chocolate chips, and marshmallows
4) Using a large ice cream scoop or 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop dough and place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet covered with plastic wrap or in large air tight container. Chill for 1 hour up to 1 week- the colder the cookie dough the better.
5) In an oven pre-heated to 375°F bake the cookies for 16-18 minutes. Cool completely on the cookie sheet before serving or storing in an air tight container for up to 1 week.