Oh, what a beautiful morning, my friends! Ever wake up feeling the blue bird of happiness is chirping just for you? Yeah, not very often for me either, but by some miracle God decided to put a little sunshine in my heart…and it feels absolutely fabulous! So I thought I’d share an equally fabulous recipe with you.
You see, I’ve been stuck for a very long time. I thought it was the whole trying to get into business school these past twelve months, but when it came to being completely honest with myself I couldn’t keep hiding that I’ve been stuck for years. So what a lovely and refreshing gift to wake up to! How better to celebrate than to channel all that positive energy into creating an equally beautiful and delicious breakfast?
On days when we’re not so lucky with Mr. Bluebird, these pancakes will sure do the trick. On the inside they’re pillowy-fluffy, yet rich from all the coconut flavor. The exterior has this delicate crisp that reminds me of that very thin layer of the caramelized sugar atop a creme brulee. To top it all off, they’re gluten-free and full of fiber and anti-oxidants. Nutritious and delicious, hard to beat, don’t cha think?
makes 10-12 pancakes, inspired by Elisabeth Prueitt
- 1 cup gluten free flour mix
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted plus 1-2 tablespoons for pan
- optional: fresh fruit, maple syrup, and shredded coconut to top
- In a large bowl, mix together gluten free flour mix, sugar, coconut flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk with the 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until batter is moistened.
- Heat a frying pan or griddle over medium heat. Add about a teaspoon of coconut oil and melt to grease pan. Through out cooking process, add additional coconut oil as needed to keep pan greased.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto hot pan and cook until bubbles appear on the surface and sides begin to try, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cool the opposite side until golden, about another 2 minutes.
- Serve warm with desired toppings.