Say it isn’t so! Summer is almost over. Labor Day will be here before we know it…but I will cling to strawberries for as long as they are full of sweet, summer juiciness! Yeah, I’ve been going a little nuts over these signature summer fruits lately because I know they will soon be gone.
This recipe came to me almost by accident a few days ago. I needed to put together something fast for lunch so I grabbed my Fit & Fresh container and filled the bottom portion with field green salad and topped it with sliced leftover steak I had broiled for dinner the night before. In the “side” containers I put strawberries and watermelon to snack on for the day.
Around 2:00 I remembered to have lunch and when I bit into a strawberry just after a forkful of greens and steak, I thought “Oooo!” I suddenly had a delicious idea growing in my head. The idea was very distracting as I attempted to trace the Performance Specifications I was reviewing to our program’s requirements documentation (I know, riveting!). I’d been working 10 and 12 hour days all week, so the second it turned 4:00 I was G-O-N-E and when I got home I whipped up this quick and easy salad and homemade dressing. Heavenly!
Steak and Strawberry Salad
- 1 cup field greens or baby spinach
- ¼ cup sliced strawberries
- 2 oz leftover sliced steak from the summer weekend cookout
- 1 tbsp crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch each salt, pepper, herbs de Provence
- Pour balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and herbs de Provence together in a small bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Fill a bowl or a salad plate with the field greens or baby spinach.
- Top greens with the steak, strawberries, and gorgonzola
- Pour dressing over salad and toss.